Irish Sailing and Mountaineering Adventure Challenge - The ISAMAC - History

ISAMAC 2018 write-up by Tom Murray, skipper of Ocean Eagle

ISAMAC 2018 write-up by Peter Munro-Lott, skipper of Sasseknackered

ISAMAC 2018 write-up by Robert McCaffrey, race organiser and skipper of Team Trionium

Below: The crews and Marshals before the start of the ISAMAC 2018.

Below: The 2018 race route and team progress on YellowBrick

ISAMAC 2018 write-up by Tom Murray, skipper of Ocean Eagle

ISAMAC 2018 The Ocean Eagles' experience

Our team was assembled before Christmas after I spotted a small notice in Practical Boat Owner of the inaugural sailing mountain adventure challenge. Our Team was made up of a mix of sailors, cyclists, mountaineers, runners but more importantly all had a spirit for adventure.

Our Team was made up as follows
Tom Murray Skipper, Boat Owner, Cyclist and adventure race entrant
Gerry Crowley Mountain Guide, Cyclist, and adventure racer,
Susan Steele Marathon runner, endurance athlete, cyclist, sailor
John Murray, Pilot, Navigator, runner, cyclist and Sailor
Tom Corcoran Chef, cyclist and adventure racer

Being the local team we undertook extensive training and had the advantage of been able to recce the course and had completed all aspects of the Course prior to the start over a period of time. The long hard winter hampered outdoor training. The week before the start we all climbed Carruntoohill and we were all looking forward to completing the race.

Our boat is a Tradewind 33 designed to sail the world oceans. Due to the bad weather conditions and the never-ending winter a planned engine replacement took longer than planned so we only got the boat launched in the middle of May and did not get much sea -time training together.

I delivered the boat from Courtmacsherry to Kinsale on the eve of the race and met the other crews and enjoyed an evening with them in Kinsale enjoying the local pubs. Being locked out of the Marina at 12.30am for over a hour in the rain due to a faulty card was not ideal preparation for the race but having finally gained access I enjoyed a good night’s sleep.

Our crew joined the next day and we stocked the boat with ample supplies including great meals prepared by our on-board Chef Tom C. After completing our safety check and entry requirements we were ready for the off. John and Susan did a great job completing the running and soon we were sailing south out of Kinsale. We decided to reef before rounding the Old Head as winds from the West were strengthening and the boat was happier once in place. We knew that we were in for a rough night but the usually reliable WindGuru was predicting moderating winds during the night. We decided to sail long offshore tacks along the Coast as the West Cork Coast line has few lights and has plenty of lobster pots closer to the shore. The first crew member got sick just after the old head but had advised that this would happen so it was not unexpected and quickly recovered.

As night was drawing in we received a Securité notice on the VHF with a small craft warning for our sea area that winds would increase to 6 or 7 during the night. Certainly, we were experiencing strong winds but the boat was powering through it. Unfortunately, more crew members became sick as conditions worsened and I ended up sailing the boat through the night.

As I sailed through the night I was actually looking forward to doing the Carauntoohill stage which we had trained hard for.

Our boat has no instruments on deck apart from a compass which made it very difficult to navigate. I knew however approximately where we were and that we were offshore and clear of any hazards. We had a waypoint on our GPS marked just West of Cape Clear and the plan was to tack to it. At one stage we had a problem with an accidental tack which resulted in the genoa car jumping out of the track. This involved me having to go up on deck suitably harnessed and apparently was the only time I shouted during the race when I told one the crew members to "keep the f……g torch on me." While we fixed the problem and sailed on as dawn broke with poor visibility and all the crew sick and with me having been up all night we decided it would be wise to head to a safe port and regroup. Due to poor visibility we decided to sail to Glandore as Baltimore would have involved a further slog into the wind and waves which I did not think the crew and at this stage myself would be up for. We finally saw land as we approached High Island and tied up in Union Hall at 6.45am. Once we cleaned up the boat and washed away the evidence of the 'mal de mer,' we decided to retire as conditions were not going to improve. We enjoyed a light breakfast on board and the crew headed home around 10.15. As we were tied to a trawler I stayed with the boat and enjoyed a great sleep catching up on what I had missed from the night before.

Gerry and Tom C were planning to drive to Templenoe and do the cycle and climb but decided to wait for me and to get back and to do Brandon instead on Tuesday. I moved the boat to a friend’s mooring in Castletownsend on Monday. We got up early Tuesday morning and drove to Dingle, only to be greeted by very low fog and rain. Gerry is an experienced Mountain Guide and advised against proceeding so after a coffee we headed home.

We as a crew were very disappointed that we had to retire so early in the race. Our boat was fine and suffered no issues and performed well in the conditions. Our decision to retire was taken on safety grounds due to the level of seasickness onboard. Two of our crew had never got sick before and one had been a commercial fisherman. In hindsight we would possibly have been better off sailing closer to shore but with few navigation visual aids and the danger of lobster pots we felt it was safer to go offshore where we perhaps encountered bigger seas.

We have to admire team Sasseknackered for finishing the course and winning the race and Team Trionium for achieving what they did. We hope to be back next year although one or two crew members were expressing plans to retire from sailing!!

Well done and thanks to Rob and his team for conceptualising and organising the race.

Team Ocean Eagle

ISAMAC 2018 write-up by Peter Munro-Lott, skipper of Sasseknackered

Photos of the ISAMAC 2018 from the crew of Sasseknackered

ISAMAC 2018: The Sasseknackered Experience

The Sasseknackered team has a few nautical and land miles between them and has been together since 2010. We have strict division of labour, runners run and sailors sail. Experience, tenacity and the fortifying benefits of a couple of Guinness the night before were our strengths. A short test sail in the morning told us that our yacht ‘Hope' was fast, the breeze strong and the sea getting lumpy.

The Forts of Kinsale
It started well. The weather in Kinsale was warm and dry, and all the running teams finished the 12.5k two forts run within a few minutes of each other. Initially flat, the course became lumpier towards the end. Dennis the Ironman and his teammate took an early lead and he graciously stopped to take a photo of us as he was running back from the second fort. A modern day “tortoise and hare” if you will, but for the fact that they still won.

Kinsale into the dark night
Swiftly away, sails up and Ride of the Valkyries blasting out under a sunny sky we slowly gained on the Trionium yacht and passed them in Kinsale Bay. With wind and sea building there followed a phase of follow the leader as the two boats tacked their way to the West, electing to take an offshore route. This continued until night fell and we had passed Kinsale Head when the full effects of the Force 6-7 and confused sea began to take effect on the crew and our ability to follow the desired course. However, we persevered and whilst not at our most efficient and under reduced sail we stayed in the race and pulled away from the other boats. The yellow brick tracker app meant we could see their tracks and surmise that like us, the conditions were having an effect. Darkness ebbed into grey dawn, Cape Clear was sighted and fatigued spirits lifted although solid food remained off the menu. Runners surfaced from their cocoons below to enquire how the night had gone and received mostly monosyllabic answers. The sea moderated though and the wind steadied as we rounded Mizen Head onto the northerly leg and relatively plain sailing to the anchorage at Adrigole and a row ashore to launch the runners up Hungry Hill. We had planned for a 10 to 14 hour sail, it took 17 hours of which at least 8 we’d rather not repeat.

Hungry Hill
The weather on Hungry Hill was less welcoming, with strong winds and limited visibility at the top. We left our tracker onboard and our teammate had to row back to get it, delaying us a little but proving the value of the mandatory kit checks. We jogged the road sections at both ends, but the rest of the trip was a solid hike. We took a wrong bearing at the top of Derryclancy, descending too soon rather than following the ridge and, although we managed to scramble back up again, lost considerable time. Adrigole Mountain was more distinct and offered fantastic views over the harbour and our waiting boat. We had been warned during the race briefing that the path down to the road was easy to miss and, true to form, we missed it. Luckily, the farmer whose fields we cut through was nowhere to be seen.

Adrigole pause and onto Templenoe
A time to regroup, check timings, tides and crew fatigue. The determining factors were the tides around Dursey Head and did we really want another night sail. Neptune smiled on us to the extent where there was no advantage in sailing that night and to consensual relief we spent the night at anchor. The next day dawned brighter and by 6am we were underway again, in good spirits, well rested and fed. With a prevailing WSW wind and a reduced swell we made good time tacking down to Dursey Head and then shifting north and then east up the Kenmare River. The visibility steadily improved as did crew morale and there was even a hint of sun as we snuck into Templenoe anchorage. At this point the depth gauge decided to fail but with some old school use of a lead line we safely anchored 10 hours after departing Adrigole, in daylight and ahead of the pack.

Carrauntoohil was a delight and probably the highlight of our trip. Brian Finnegan of Finnegan’s Cycles had dropped two bikes off for us the day before at the house nearest the quay and we set off for the Ballaghbeama Gap in the late afternoon light. The roads were very quiet and the views stunning. The bikes were geared for speed and, officially to save our legs, we walked them up the particularly steep last few hundred meters to the head of the pass before enjoying the long freewheel down. The hike up the mountain was equally enjoyable: Navigation was made simpler by following the fence line and we reached the summit at sunset with the clouds below us and the wind dying down to a cooling breeze. The Irish Mountain Running Association’s website lists a round-trip record of one hour fifteen minutes, less than a third of the time it took us. Shouldn’t have stopped for that photo, I guess. Head torches and lights on, we saw around fifty sheep and one car on the two-hour ride back to the quay.

Fair winds to Dingle
The Templenoe anchorage is small but a place of beauty. The runners return at 3.45am heralded a swift departure or it would have been had our previously mentioned lead line expertise not been 20cm out meaning we were just aground. However, time and time etc and half an hour later we picked up the forecast light easterly to mistily take us back down the river and into open water. The forecast for a westerly freshening to force 5-6 kept the pressure on and revived memories of the first night. The boat handled well and the visibility lifted to reveal Skellig Island (cultural reference, it’s the one Luke Skywalker hides on...). The Dingle coast came into sight as the weather chased us in. At this point the headship shackle broke but by now we were beyond caring, Dingle awaited us and nobody wanted to move to the bow to repair it so we flapped on. On cue, as ordered from the Dingle tourist office, Fungi the resident dolphin greeted us and with a mix of relief and sadness we tied up in the excellent marina and set the runners away again.

Mount Brandon
Mount Brandon proved to be our biggest challenge. We abandoned our first attempt on the Tuesday afternoon at about the half-way point, facing very high winds, driving rain, poor visibility and the prospect of a night-time descent. Safely back in Dingle that evening the wind picked up further and we were confident we’d made the right decision in turning back when we did. With a view to the holiday we’d promised ourselves, we chose not to repeat the attempt on the Wednesday, accepting that we’d not finish the race. That was until we heard that Team Trionium had done it, and in a great time too. Girding our loins and pulling on our damp, cold leggings, we set off once again early on the Thursday morning. With warm sunshine, light winds and fantastic views across the whole peninsula, we jogged up to the finish line at John Benny’s pub in a round-trip time of seven hours fifteen minutes. Out of sheer bloody-mindedness, blistered, and with knees a good ten degrees warmer than the rest of our bodies, we had finally made it!

Top Tips:

1. If you arrive in Kinsale early enough and have a car or a bike, take the opportunity to “walk” the course beforehand.
2. Don’t worry about losing a few minutes to your competition on this first run: Any difference will be lost to the subsequent overnight sail and there’s enough room in the bay for everyone.
3. Try to build a mental picture of the mountain stages by reviewing videos, photos, blogs and sources other than just the maps. These are generally 1:50,000 rather than 1:25,000 and lack more detailed features such as fences.
4. Goretex socks are a worthwhile investment. Bring three pairs and three pairs of leggings, as they’ll get soaked in the bogs even when the sun’s out. And bring mobile phone chargers, fully charged.
5. If you’re hiring bikes, contact Brian Finnegan two or three weeks beforehand. He can supply lights, spare tubes, pumps, multitools, etc., so you can leave those at home. The road surface is generally fine for road bikes.
6. The restaurants in Dingle are first class. We particularly enjoyed Fenton’s and Out of the Blue. Booking ahead is worthwhile.


ISAMAC 2018 write-up by Robert McCaffrey, race organiser and skipper of Team Trionium

Photos of the ISAMAC 2018 by Dennis Earl, on Flickr

We had previously taken part in the Scottish Islands Peaks Race and the Three Peaks Yacht Race, so we were able to put together a 'dream team' of experienced all-rounders, who knew what they were getting themselves into: Stuart Aikman, Dennis Earl, Kate Standeven and the skipper's twin brother Lewis McCaffrey, who flew from New York to take part in the race. The crew assembled on the Friday, the day before the start of the race, and on the Saturday of the race, due to various logistics challenges (Kate's plane from Bristol was cancelled and Lew's bag went to Oslo - he picked it up at the end of the race in Kinsale). During a convivial meet-up with the other crews at Kinsale Yacht Club and later at the Tap Tavern in Kinsale, Tom Murray (skipper of the OceanEagles team) made a prophetic warning that the rigours of the sailing legs had been underestimated. On Saturday morning we did our shopping at SuperValu, which did not amount to much, including only basic meals for the four or five days of the race, and which excluded any alcohol, since we could not see any circumstances when we might want a drink before the end of the race.

At 2pm the crew attended the mandatory kit-check, which was conducted by the race organiser's parents, brother and partner, who acted as marshals throughout the race. At 4pm I gave a welcome and race briefing to the assembled crews. Several changes to the race rules were agreed upon, including reversing the route of the Hungry Hill land leg (a very useful suggestion from Susan Steel of Ocean Eagles), and additional use of the engines being allowed on the approach into Adrigole. The 'inside passage' of Dursey Island through Dursey Sound was banned.

At 5.50pm, the crews reassembled by the entrance to Kinsale Yacht Club's marina, and  the 'winner' of the 'oldest crew' prize was awarded, being Sasseknackered with a combined age of 270 years, edging local team Ocean Eagles into second (263 years) and with Team Trionium the relative youths with only 250 years between them. So, all the crews were of 'a certain age.'

At 6pm on the dot, the two runners from each team started off on the Two Forts Run, round James Fort, passing back through Kinsale and heading out to Charles Fort, before finishing back at the marina. Team Trionium's two runners, Dennis and Kate, took an early lead, and  cruised to a three-minute victory in 61 minutes, over Sasseknackered, with Ocean Eagles in third a few minutes later.

Runners then scrambled on board and yachts went under engine power out into Kinsale Bay. Team Trionium spent valuable minutes going head to wind to put up the mainsail (with one reef, which stayed put throughout), and was quickly caught up by the slick sailors of Sasseknackered. Sailing out towards the Old Head of Kinsale, Sasseknackered's sailing expertise shone through and their boat, 'Hope,' took a lead that it was never to relinquish. Sailing on a long starboard tack (in a southwesterly) in order to round Kinsale Head, the wind started to rise as the boats first encountered the Atlantic swell left over from Storm Hector, which had passed nearby a few days earlier. The night came in slowly, but with thick cloud cover it became as dark as a coal hole. Tacking onto a port tack allowed easier navigation due to the existence of a few shore lights, but the starboard tack, the 'making tack,' had no navigational marks to steer by at all, and was a lumpy course through the waves and swell. For a while Team Trionium's Hanse 40 matched Sasseknackered tack for tack, until dark finally meant that we could see them no longer. We used the mast-head light of Ocean Eagles for navigation for an hour or so, since they were on a parallel course. We had two watches, and I was on the 10-1pm watch with Lewis and Kate. While off-watch, at about midnight, Stuart lost his glasses. Being practically blind without them, he spent at least three hours trying to locate them, finally working out that he had accidentally dropped them down a small hole between the bulkhead and the interior storage. He did go on the helm for his watch but he says he was steering by 'wind-sense' alone. Dennis had succumbed to a protracted bout of sea-sickness from midnight onwards, and he struggled with vomiting and nausea well into the Sunday, leaving him tired and somewhat enervated. 

Little did we know that during this tough night, with Force 7 winds and a confused sea, that team Ocean Eagles has become disabled through the sea-sickness of all of the crew apart from the skipper. At around 5.30am, they made the decision to seek shelter, finally putting into port at Unionhall around 8.00am, where they officially retired from the race.

During the night, we had put in several tacks in order to round Clear Island, followed by one large tack in order to round Mizen Head. Unfortunately, the heads had apparently broken during the night, leaving us with an over-flowing toilet, which we only managed to clear with the use of the shower tray drain pump. We also discovered in the night that we had lost depth and wind information, and that the GPS was not being displayed below. The GPS display on deck also became dimmer, along with the compass binnacle light, and we finally realized that we had a problem with some of the electrics on the boat. With the return of the daylight, we lost the use of the VHF, and finally discovered that we had no instruments onboard. We tried running the engine in neutral, but to no avail. Around day-break, a pod of dolphins played around the bows of the boat. We rounded Brow Head, Mizen Head and Three Castle Head, but we miscounted the headlands in the murk and started to sail up Dunmanus Bay, mistaking Sheep Head for Bear Island. Finally on a much easier point of sail and with the seas moderating, we found ourselves with a dilemma off the entrance to Bear Haven and the marina and facilities of Lawrence Cove on Bear Island: go into the marina and get the boat fixed, or head into Adrigole Harbour with no facilities with no GPS and no depth sounder. After several minutes of painful vacillation on my part, after consulting the charts again and finding Adrigole Harbour to be relatively clear of off-lying dangers, we resolved to head into Adrigole, which also gave us the opportunity to continue the race. Arriving off the pier, we were surprised to find that the electrical anchor windlass did not work, although we really shouldn't have been. Being at that moment unprepared to put the anchor down manually, we picked up a visitor's mooring buoy. We arrived at Adrigole at around 4pm, phoned the boatyard to tell them of our problems, and resolved to head up Hungry Hill. Lewis and I were dog-tired as we started off, being put ashore by dinghy and shambling along the rocks back to the pier for our 5-minute self-administered kit-check (the marshals having already left for the next destination, Templenoe). We realised that we had left the YellowBrick tracker behind and had to get Dennis in the dinghy to retrieve it for us (Sassenknackered had done exactly the same three hours earlier). We trotted along the road around Adrigole Bay, and took the rustic farm track into the heart of the hills, before setting off uphill towards the ridge. Cloud base was at 300m, so we ascended into the cloud in increasing wind and whipping drizzle. We were both staggering around with bad sea-legs, so that when we found the stone-built beacon at 570m and the wind got up to probably 35mph, we found it a fairly easy decision to retreat back downhill, not being likely to finish the ridge in daylight. We ambled back to the boat, jealous to some degree that Sasseknackered had forged onwards. We named a dog that followed us for a while 'Iggy,' after the ignominy that we felt at having retreated. After Lewis had half fallen-in getting back into the dinghy, the dog tried to swim with us back to the boat. As we got back onto the boat, we were pleased to realise that Stuart had retrieved his glasses after about 8 hours of work, finally succeeding with a contraption made of coat hangers, fishing wire and fishing hooks, guided by a mobile phone video camera. Stuart was back! Dennis was also a bit livelier. We were all very glad of the overnight rest. Sasseknackered also rested overnight, heading off very early in the morning towards Templenoe.

On Monday morning we waited for James to arrive from Kinsale to fix the few problems with the boat. We shifted the boat and manually put the anchor down, just off the end of Adrigole pier. As James arrived, we mentioned that we had also seen some white smoke coming from the exhaust. We had decided to have another go at Hungry Hill, while James worked on the boat. With faffage, we finally got away on the land stage at 2.30pm. Lewis and I got up to the stone-built beacon at 570m altitude substantially quicker than we had the day before, feeling fresher and knowing the route. When we arrived there though, we discovered that conditions were actually worse than the day before, with more wind and less visibility, being down to 20m at times. We decided that our redemption rested on our success, so we forged onwards. From this point, up to Hungry Hill and all along the ridge, we used compass bearings, map and distance walked (on legs of 200-700m in length) in order to proceed. Finally, at the far end of the ridge, we dropped out of the cloud near Carbery Pool, enjoying a romp over the bogs and the greenery of Ireland on the way down the last hill to the road. Having the challenges behind us, we jogged along the road back to the pier, being just a little bit sad that Iggy was not there to welcome us. we finished this attempt in 6:08:05 (although since we had started the attempt the day before, our total elapsed time was over 26 hours, since the clock does not stop between attempts). Dennis, Stuart and Kate were at the pier to welcome us, albeit with mixed news: the boat could go no further and our charter was at an end. The combined problems with the electrics (a faulty electric splitter meant that two domestic batteries and the windlass battery were not being charged, hence the electronics sequentially failing), the heads (finally traced a few days later to a wretched wet-wipe clogging the system, thankfully not us/ours), and the engine problem (fouled injectors), meant that our official race was over. All of our stuff had been taken off the boat, and we were given a lift to Hungry Hill Lodge, a well-appointed hostel nearby. Dennis cooked-up a huge and delicious chilli, and we washed it down with plenty of beer. Despite this seemingly near-terminal development, we rapidly decided that we would complete the race as well as we were able.

On Tuesday morning at 9.30, a taxi arrived to collect Dennis, Kate and Stuart. They picked up an extra bike in Kenmare from Finnegan's Cycles, and were dropped off at Templenoe, to start cycling at 11am. The valiant teams from Sasseknacked had started that very route at 4pm the previous day, only finishing at 3.30am (having seen a stunning sunset from above the clouds on their way up Carrauntoohil). Once Sasseknackerded's runners arrived back at the boat after a 500m dinghy row, they discovered that they were aground and had to wait 40 minutes to go afloat. They were already on their way towards Dingle as our team started the Carrauntoohil land leg. In the meantime, Lewis and I got a lift to Cork airport with James to pick up a big estate car capable of taking five sailors and a week's worth of gear: we then drove via a meal of Irish stew and Guinness (and live Irish music) in Kenmare, to Templenoe in order to pick up the team. The YellowBrick trackers allowed us to time our arrival perfectly. They had had a great leg, with no problems, although like the other team they had had to push their 'under-geared' bikes up the last stages of the Ballaghbeama pass. The upper sections of Carrauntoohil were in cloud, but conditions were not as bad as they could have been. They stopped for an ice cream and a drink on the cycle back and seemed in very good spirits, happy to have ticked off another land stage. We locked up the bikes, leaving the key in the lock as requested, and drove on to our airBnB in Dingle. We were all tired, so after a quick bite to eat, we all went off to our feather beds.

In the meantime, the Sasseknackered team had had a fabulous sail in Hope to Dingle during Tuesday and had landed their runners in the mid-afternoon of Tuesday (as we were completing Carrauntoohil) at Dingle marina. Brothers Simon and Andy set off immediately, but were beaten back by atrocious weather half way to Mount Brandon, returning the way they had come.

However, we arose on Wednesday to find a glorious day in prospect. All five of us set out from John Benny's pub at 10am, thrutching up the bogs of the foothills and enjoying stunning scenery along the airy upper ridges, and gained the top of Mount Brandon after 4:20. Lewis and Stuart decided to descend down the tourist route and hitched back to Dingle, taking around 90 minutes to do so. Myself, Kate and Dennis cracked on down the descent, arriving at the col at 200m within one hour of leaving the top. We really ran as fast as we could, and ran down into Dingle, to finish at John Benny's pub two hours and ten minutes after leaving the top, for a total round-trip time of 6:43:43.

We were warmly welcomed into the pub by the marshals (Danni and Sam, Mac and Val), and were shortly joined by four of the crew of Sasseknackered. Much chat and banter ensured, followed by the race prize-giving. Due to the somewhat chaotic first night and following enforced retirement of Team Trionium, Sasseknackered was the runaway official winner of nearly all the legs, only being beaten on the Two Forts Run. John Coombs was awarded a ceremonial mars bar for being skipper of the year (for having the foresight to load up all the charts onto his smart phone, for keeping his crew together to the end of the race and for old-school use of the lead-line while entering Adrigole Harbour with another instrument failure). Peter Munro-Lott was awarded a prize for 'meritorious vomiting,' after discovering the worst patch of sea in a sailing career that included 30 years in the Royal Navy. Lewis McCaffrey was awarded a tin of sardines for traveling the furthest to take part in the race (from Marcellus, New York state). During further discussions, the runners from Sasseknackered were implored to finish the course and to hence complete the race by completing the Dingle to Brandon ridge the following day. Our crew ate and watered well in John Benny's pub, and slept the sleep of the just. We went surfing in Inch on our way back towards Kinsale, staying at an exceptional airBnB near Bantry, visiting Baltimore and Skibbereen, and finally finishing with a pleasant evening meal aboard a kindly donated-for-the-evening yacht in Kinsale, before all dispersing to the four corners. What a challenge: What an adventure!

On the Thursday, Simon and Andy from Sasseknackered started their run from Dingle to Mount Brandon at 5.30am, and completed it some seven hours later, becoming the first team to complete the ISAMAC. It CAN be done!


ISAMAC Awards 2018

Fastest at the Two Forts Race in Kinsale: Team Trionium (61:00)

Fastest on each hill leg:

Hungry Hill: Sasseknackered (6:25:00) - Special mention Team Trionium (6:08:05 running time, 2nd attempt)

Carrauntoohil: Sasseknackered (10:40:00) - Special mention Team Trionium (10:06:00 land-based)

Dingle-Brandon Ridge: Sasseknackered (7:15:00) - Special mention Team Trionium (6:43:43 land-based)

Fastest aggregate of all hill legs: Sasseknackered (24:20:00) - Special mention Team Trionium (22:57:48, partially land-based)

Fastest on each sailing leg:

Kinsale to Adrigole: Sasseknackered (17:06:08)

Adrigole to Templenoe: Sasseknackered (10:38:08)

Templenoe to Dingle: Sasseknackered (10:00:00)

Fastest aggregate for all sailing legs: Sasseknackered (37:44:16)
Fastest overall: Sasseknackered (114:30:00) - no other team finished the race in 2018.
Best pre-race publicity effort: Team Trionium!
Best race video: Team Trionium
Best race write-up/blog: Dead heat, Ocean Eagles, Sasseknackered and Team Trionium.
Oldest crew to finish: Sasseknackered
Last yacht to finish: Sasseknackered

Best race photograph: Sasseknackered - 'Thirsty work, this ISAMAC': (Once I finish these four pints, I'll drink the candle too).


Media coverage:

Practical Boat Owner - September 2018